Burning Permits

Prior to burning in the City of Charlotte, you must obtain a Burning Permit from the Charlotte Fire Department. this permit can be issued at either the West Side Fire Station or the Downtown Station. A Burning Permit can also be obtained by calling (517) 543-0241. The permit can be issued over the phone at no cost.

For more information, please consult Section 307 of the International Fire Code. Please note that the City of Charlotte has amended Section 307.2 to read as follows:

Section 307.2. Permit Required. A permit shall be obtained from the code official prior to kindling a fire for recognized silvicultural or range or wildlife management or practices, prevention or control of disease or pests, a bonfire or a recreational fire. Applications for such approval shall only be presented by and permits issued to the owner of the lands upon which the fire is to be kindled.

Section 307.6 has been added by the City of Charlotte to read as follows:

Section 307.6. Outdoor Fireplace: Permit Required. No person shall kindle or maintain any fire or authorize any such fire to be kindled or maintained in a contained outdoor fireplace unless an annual permit is first obtained and in effect authorizing the owner of the property to maintain a fire in a contained outdoor fireplace and the fire is maintained in accordance with the regulations proposed by the Fire Marshall and adopted by resolution of the City Council for such fires.

City Burn Permit Application
Township Burn Permit Application